Recipe by – Toni Street, television presenter and breakfast radio host
What you need
- 250g butter, cubed
- 280g sugar (I use ½ white, ½ brown)
- 280g flour
- 450g sultanas
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
What to do
- Preheat oven to 140℃, fan bake. Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
- Put the sultanas in saucepan and add just enough water to cover them. Put the lid on, and boil for 5 mins.
- Strain off the water and add the butter to the fruit. Stir and leave to cool
- Beat the sugar, eggs and essences until white and creamy, then add the fruit mixture and stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients and fold together gently.
- Bake for 1 to 1½ hours, depending on your oven. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.